NRTA Application And Selection Process
The NRTA has a competitive, multi-step application process based on qualifications and proven interest. The following is the process for application & selection:
Entrance exams are administered at NYCHA’s Office of Resident Economic Empowerment and Sustainability (REES) located at 787 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, N.Y. 11238. Appointments can be made by calling the NYCHA REES Hotline: 718-289-8100.
- Take the Test for Adult and Basic Education (T.A.B.E.) and meet the minimum passing score for a specific track
- Complete an Intake Form
2. Prescreening Appointment
Meet one-on-one with a REES Assessment Specialist to confirm eligibility and provide a copy of each of the documents you will need to provide (if applicable) to be able to move forward in the application process.
- NYCHA Composition letter
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- Photo Identification (NYS ID, Driver’s License, Passport, Permanent Registration Card)
- HS Diploma or GED Diploma
- Proof of Disposition/ Release Records
i. Certificate of Relief from Disabilities If you were ever on Parole.
ii. Disposition if have ever been convicted of a crime or any misdemeanor’s. If you can get it sealed it doesn’t have to be disclosed.
iii. Notice of Discharge from Probation Supervision if you were ever on Probation.
3. NRTA Information Session
Learn more about the RTA, training details, what to expect and participate in a Question & Answer session with RTA training provider.
4. Interview & Drug Screen
- Attend one-on-one interview.
- Possibly attend a group interview.
- Possibly participate in try-outs
- Complete a medical drug screening
5. Acceptance and Registration
The NYCHA Resident Training Academy’s Training Partners make final determination on who is selected to participate in the training.
6. Begin Training
7. Job Placement Assistance
Successful graduates of the program receive post-training job placement assistance.