Childcare Business Pathways
Do you enjoy taking care of CHILDREN? Grow your love for kids into a profitable “home-based” CHILDCARE BUSINESS! Childcare Business Pathways (CBP) is a FREE business accelerator program for NYCHA public housing residents with a desire to legitimize their “home-based” day care businesses.
The NYCHA Childcare Business Pathways (CBP) program is a collaboration between the New York City Housing Authority’s Office of Resident Economic Empowerment & Sustainability (REES), New York City Department of Small Business Services (SBS), Business Outreach Network (BOCNET), and Citi Community Development.
Note: This program is ONLY for authorized NYCHA public housing residents NOT Section 8 voucher holders. Exception: NYCHA Section 8 voucher holders who live in a NYCHA public housing development can still apply.
CBP will assist NYCHA public housing residents in the following areas:
- Training and licensing process
- Business education
- Grants for required supplies
- Technical assistance
- Home-based childcare businesses – Click here for more info
- Family childcare
- Group childcare
- Legally exempt
Residents who are accepted into the program receive:
- A FREE 10-week intensive business course tailored specifically to meet the needs of NYCHApreneurs (NYCHA Entrepreneurs) with a passion for starting their “home-based”childcare business
- FREE training, licensing and technical assistance
- Business coaching designed to move your “home-based” childcare business forward
The goals of the program are three-fold:
- To assist NYCHA residents in becoming licensed “home-based” childcare business owners.
- To strengthen the connection between NYCHApreneurs and New York City’s economy through streamlined links to industry-specific resources and customized curriculum.
- To systematize assistance to NYCHApreneurs.
Application and Selection Process
Childcare Business Pathways (CBP) has a competitive, multi-step application process. Applicants are evaluated on their qualifications and demonstrated interest.
Participants are selected through a competitive application and interview process that involves all program partners. Selections are based on business history, business plans, references, and applicants who demonstrate “entrepreneurial spirit” during in-person interviews.
Minimum Basic Requirements
- Be a NYCHA public housing resident 18 years of age or older.
- Be able to attend all program sessions from 6:00pm to 9:00pm for 14 sessions over 10 weeks*.
- Have a passion for children and starting or growing a “home-based” childcare business**.
* Travel, childcare and other logistical issues must be resolved prior to enrollment into the CBP.
** Passion can be showcased through experience taking care of children, training, work history, etc.
2016 Recruitment Dates
|Cohort||Application Available||Start Date|
Recruitment is now closed.
For additional Childcare Business Training Programs in NYC, see below:
- Business Outreach Center Network (BOCNet) Child Care Means Business Training – http://www.bocnet.org/boc/boc_services.html
- Childcare Development Support Corporation (CDSC) – http://cdscnyc.publishpath.com/
- Brooklyn Business Center Child Care Business Development – http://brooklynbusinesscenter.com/child-care-business-development/