Free Tax Prep
Food Bank For New York City has partnered with NYCHA’s Office of Resident Economic Empowerment and Sustainability (REES) to offer FREE tax prep services to NYCHA public housing residents and NYCHA Section 8 voucher holders through the Virtual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
These tax prep services are fast, FREE, local and available to anyone earning $54,000 per year or less.
Free tax preparation and e-file services will be available at select NYCHA community centers and Jobs-Plus sites starting the week of January 30th to April 10, 2017.
Benefits of using Food Bank’s tax prep services:
- With Food Bank, FREE means free. You won’t spend a percentage of your refund to get your taxes done. No hidden fees.
- Food Bank uses IRS certified and trained tax preparers who maximize your refund.
- Food Bank protects your data.
- Every tax return receives a complete quality review before final submission.
- Food Bank provides year-round audit assistance if needed.
What is Virtual Tax Preparation? – At select NYCHA and Jobs Plus locations, an intake coordinator scans your tax documents, returns them immediately and your tax return is completed remotely by a Food Bank IRS-certified tax preparer. Virtual VITA is extremely fast and saves you time.
What documents do I need to file taxes? – Click Here
Note: IRS Refund Delay and Alert about “Early Refund” Products
- Due to a new law, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) must hold your refund until February 15, 2017 if you claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) — even the portion not associated with EITC or ACTC. However, the IRS also advises filers not to count on actually seeing their refunds until the week of February 27.
- The most reliable way for filers to track the status of their refund is to use the “Where’s My Refund?” tool available on IRS.gov. See “Take Steps Now for Tax Filing Season” for more information on refunds.
- Beware of paid preparers that advertise “express refund advances” or “refund anticipation checks,” which cost a lot and lower your refund amount.
Click on the borough name to see the list of free tax prep sites near you.
For additional free tax prep locations citywide – Click Here.