Home-Based Business Checklist
Before starting a business in your home, ask yourself the following questions to see if it is in line with the type of businesses that residents are permitted to operate in NYCHA apartments. This only applies if your business or business activities are operated from NYCHA residential property. If your business is operated elsewhere, you can still tap into the business development services offered through REES to move ahead and attain your dream.
Are your home-based business activities allowed or prohibited?
Answer the following questions to find out how your business stacks up.
Does your business:
|1. Violate with the law?|
|2. Make it difficult or impossible to use the apartment as a residence or converts the residence into a business office?|
|3. Modify the structure of the apartment?|
|4. Cause excessive use of utilities? (electricity, gas or water) (i.e. hair salon with blow dryers)?|
|5. Increase the risk of vermin infestation?|
|6. Involve the preparation and sale of food or beverages, such as catering/restaurant?|
|7. Disturb other residents?|
|8. Create excessive foot traffic on the premises?|
|9. Increase the risk of fire or explosion?|
|10. Involve the preparation or use of products containing flammable, toxic, or hazardous chemicals?|
|11. Cause a large volume of mail or packages to be delivered to the premises?|
|12. Pose any hazard to residents, staff, or property?|
|13. Involve personal grooming services (beauty/barber services)?|
|14. Involve animal grooming services?|
|15. Involve the use of heavy machinery?|
|16. Generate excessive heat, noise, or vibration?|
|17. Involve selling, possessing, warehousing, using, repairing, or distributing firearms, ammunition, explosives, or other deadly or dangerous weapons?|
|18. Involve the sale of controlled substances (i.e. Drugs)?|
- Answered YES to any of the above questions in Part 1, then that type of business cannot be operated out of a NYCHA apartment.
- Answered NO to all of the above questions in Part 1, please move onto Part 2.
- Are unsure, be sure to discuss your options with your property management office staff.
Is your business up-to-date with:
|1. Any licenses, certifications, or permits that may be required to operate the business?|
|2. Insurance coverage?|
- Answered YES to the questions in Part 2 and NO to the questions in Part 1, Congratulations! It seems as if your business can be operated out of a NYCHA apartment. If you need financing, legal and/or other assistance, please contact REES today at 718.289.8100 to be referred. One of our partners may be able to assist you.
- Answered NO to the question in Part 2, a REES partner can help turn that no into a yes. Contact REES today at 718.289.8100 to be referred.
Note: that all business activities must be legal and cannot take over your apartment. You and your family must be able to continue to live in the apartment.