About Adult Education
The New York City Housing Authority’s (NYCHA) Office of Resident Economic Empowerment and Sustainability (REES) partners can help adult NYCHA residents who are looking for a job, seeking a promotion, or preparing for a new career by connecting them to Adult Education classes. There are hundreds of Adult Education service providers in New York City for learners at every stage. REES has partnerships with high-performing Adult Education partners, which will help NYCHA residents find the right program to achieve their employment goals.
Why should I participate in an Adult Education class?
- Adult Education classes can help you prepare for your GED. Did you know your earning potential will increase dramatically when you get your General Education Development (GED) credential? Many employers look for applicants with a GED as a minimum level of education when they are making hiring decisions.
- Adult Education classes can help improve your reading, writing, and math skills. Some adults are not quite ready to take the GED. Prior to enrolling in a GED class, an adult learner at this level will benefit from taking an Adult Basic Education or Pre-GED class to prepare for that next step.
- Adult Education classes can help you prepare for a job. Many career training programs require applicants to take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) prior to enrolling in the class. Adult Education classes are available to help adult learners prepare for job training programs with this requirement.
- Get informed by checking out the resources on the YouCanToo! website.
- Get motivated by watching videos of other learners who faced similar challenges and have found solutions that work.
- Give back by making your own video, sharing your story, and showing others howYouCanToo!