Janitorial Training Overview
The Janitorial training prepares NYCHA residents to be successful NYCHA Housing Caretakers (J). Selection is very competitive and the training partner makes the final selection on training. Caretakers maintain the grounds, buildings and public spaces of NYCHA developments. During the training, candidates review basic literacy, soft skills and customized skills training designed for transitioning into employment and achieving success in the workplace. Graduates will receive job placement assistance for Caretaker (J) positions at NYCHA. NYCHA HR makes final determination of employment for trainees of the Janitorial track and any other tracks where NYCHA is the employer.
Training Partner: Brooklyn Workforce Innovations
Recruitment is now open, please call 718.289.8100, to RSVp for the TABE exam.
To qualify for training, you must:
- Be a NYCHA resident on the lease
- Be 18 years old or over
- Have valid working documentation
- Be able to work for 8 hours on your feet
- Be able to pass a drug test
- Be able to pass the TABE test at a 6.0 reading/math level
- No High School Diploma, or GED is required
In this FREE Janitorial training, participants will gain:
- 4.5 weeks of full-time training
- OSHA 10 Certification
- Practical mathematics
- Equipment and Compactor Operation training
- Floor Stripping and Finishing training
- Hands on cleaning training
Return to the NRTA main page!