Construction Training Overview
The NYCHA Resident Training Academy (NRTA) Construction training program prepares NYCHA residents to enter the skilled trades and work with construction contractors. Trainees receive the skills and certifications to work in trades such as asbestos abatement, laborer, carpentry, painting, plumbing and electrical work. Graduates receive job placement assistance for up to one year; they are placed in short-term and long-term jobs with NYCHA contractors and affordable housing developers in various construction trades.
The NYCHA Resident Training Academy has partnered with Building Skills NY, Nontraditional Employment for Women (NEW) and currently partners with New York City College of Technology (City Tech) to connect residents to employment based construction training opportunities.
Training Partners include:
Recruitment is now open, please call 718.289.8100. The next TABE is on April 24th, 2017 at 787 Atlantic Avenue, call now to register!
To qualify for training, you must:
- Be a NYCHA resident – on the lease
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have valid working documentation
- Be able to work for 8 hours on your feet
- Be able to pass a drug test
- Be able to pass the TABE test at a 7.0 reading/math level
- Have a High School Diploma, or GED
In this FREE construction training, participants can currently gain:
- 8 weeks of full-time training
- OSHA 10 Certification
- 5 hr. Suspended Scaffolding
- 4 hr. Asbestos Awareness
- 4 hr. Confined Space Hazard Awareness
Return to the NRTA main page.