The Food Business Pathways Application and Selection Process
The NYCHA Food Business Pathways Program has a competitive, multi-step application process based on qualifications and proven interest. The following is the process for application and selection:
- RSVP Online or Call RESS to RSVP for an Information Session: 718-289-8100.
For your convenience, you can register for an upcoming information session using this website or by calling the REES hotline at the above number.
- Attend an Information Session
During the information session you will receive a detailed overview of the program. This is the best time to get all of your questions answered and determine if this opportunity is for you.
- Complete your application
To simplify the process, we give interested candidates time to complete and submit their applications on the spot. If you are passionate about your food business and have been dreaming of this for a while, the application will be easy for you to complete. All of the back-up material we request from you will be collected at the upcoming interview. It is important to know that only a select group of applicants will be scheduled for an interview.If this is something you are serious about but don’t think you are quite ready, please contact the REES hotline to register for an upcoming REES info session or RBD orientation. At these sessions you will be connected to partners to help you prepare.
- Attend your scheduled interview* and bring required supportive documents
– Two professional references (required)
– Business or marketing plan (optional – bring if you have it)Every candidate is interviewed by two people. At this time your professional references will be collected. These references are from individuals who are not members of your family or close friends. They should be able to provide information about your ability to own and operate a successful food business. Clients who have previously sampled your food are a great place to start seeking professional references. References are required.Some of you may have already created a business or marketing plan because you have been working to bring this dream to life for quite some time. If so, bring what you have worked on to the interview so that the interviewers can see the efforts you’ve already invested in your business. If you don’t have either a business or marketing plan, that’s OK. We just really want to know how much effort you’ve already put into your business and how you want it to develop.
- Final Selection
After all interviews are complete, we assess the applicants and create a cohort. The chosen candidates will be notified that they are selected and that their participation is pending their confirmation. Should a selected candidate be unable to move forward with the program, an alternate may be offered the spot.
- Confirm Acceptance
All successful applicants must confirm their willingness to move forward and start the program or lose their place in the program.
- Training Enrollment
Applicants are considered enrolled once they show up to the first day of class.
*Only select applicants will be invited to interview.