Green City Force- Support Services Manager
Green City Force (GCF) is an AmeriCorps program that has been recognized nationally for our innovative workforce development and service model that positively impacts Opportunity Youth living in public housing, while supporting sustainability initiatives across the City. We seek passionate, values driven self-starters to join our growing team. Successful candidates will demonstrate efficient project management, ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues effectively, and commitment to pursuing excellence in all aspects of work.
The Support Services Manager (SSM) works with Corps Members and Alumni to build peer support systems and develop skills to effectively manage life issues through the program and beyond. The SSM works with Corps Members and Alumni to address issues that may act as barriers to employment, educational attainment, or the achievement of personal goals. The SSM closely with the Director of Career and Alumni Services in supporting GCF graduates. The SSM reports to the Chief Program Officer.
- Conduct individual and group counseling sessions with Corps Members to enhance personal and professional development.
- Serve as a coach and mentor to the Corps Members, working with them to develop strategies for achieving professional and personal goals.
- Establish and maintain system for consistent communication with the rest of the program team to ensure ongoing communication and mutual understanding on how to best support each member in our program.
- Perform initial assessments to gauge and address possible member barriers to success in our program and future endeavors.
- Perform crisis intervention (i.e. homelessness or domestic violence), and connect Corps Members and Alumni with additional supports
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with service providers that can provide additional supports for Corps Members and Alumni.
- Refer Corps Member to external resources (e.g. clinical counseling, public benefits counseling, child care resources, etc.), implement a follow-up process as needed. Build partnerships and represent GCF to potential partners related to supportive services for corps and alumni.
- Work closely with the Director of Career & Alumni Services to plan and facilitate career readiness, professional development, and life skills workshops for Green City Academy, the classroom training component of the program.
- Maintain progress notes on all contacts with Corps Members and alumni in case files; collect and complete all necessary documentation and reports related to program activities
- Manage disbursement of emergency fund grant and provide necessary reporting documents to city agency (i.e. Community Service Society)
Experience and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, or related field
- Minimum of 2 years of experience providing case management
- Demonstrated ability to work with young adults dealing with limited access to resources, positive mentors, and in some cases a lack of parental support
- Experience building partnerships with diverse networks of resource providers
- Passion for creating pathways out of poverty for urban young adults ages 18 – 24
- Models collaborative behavior within our team-based approach to supporting our members.
- Committed to holding all GCF Alumni and Corps Members to high expectations for personal success
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Founded in 2009, Green City Force’s (GCF) mission is to break the cycle of poverty, preparing urban young adults to succeed in their chosen careers by engaging them in service, training and work experiences related to the clean energy economy. GCF simultaneously addresses three imperatives –unemployment and the lack of prospects for family-supporting careers among low-income youth; changes to the urban environment that must be made to mitigate climate change; and stimulation of the green economy through awareness-raising and individual behavior change.
In 2013, GCF was named NYC’s Most Innovative Nonprofit by Mayor Bloomberg and Executive Director and Founder Lisbeth Shepherd was recognized by the White House as one of five Champions for Change addressing youth unemployment. This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as part of a dynamic team.
Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary, medical & dental benefits, monthly MetroCard, and work issued smartphone.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume, 3 references and a cover letter, including salary requirements to Jobs@greencityforce.org. Please indicate the position for which you are applying in the subject of your email. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We are looking to fill this position immediately.